CommonWord is your on-campus bookstore and second library
Fall 2022 textbooks will be available online beginning Sept 1
We will be open from 10-4 on Labour Day Monday, and an extra hour (9-6) on Sept 6-8.
In this "post-Covid" environment, pre-orders and in-person appointments are no longer necessary.
Simply consult our online list for pricing and availability - and come into CommonWord to find, pick up and pay for items you need. We will also be stocked with other school stationery supplies, transit tickets/Peggo cards, and CMU branded items.
Our prices are very competitive - and we offer the best customer service (and convenience) in the heart of the CMU campus!
If you need your textbooks shipped, please contact us.
Final Textbook Return Date
Wednesday, September 21, 2022
May I sell my used textbooks at CommonWord?
Yes, we are again accepting student’s used textbooks that match this criteria:
- The text (and edition) is being used for the upcoming semester
- The text was previously purchased new (i.e., we don’t resell used textbooks)
- The text is in good shape (i.e., pages are intact)
We sell used textbooks on consignment and will offer up to 50% of its value to the student after it’s been sold. Value is determined by its condition and its component parts (i.e., a used access code has no value, though its print version still does).
The textbook list goes public Jan 1 (Winter) and Sept 1 (Fall). We accept used books 2 weeks in advance of these dates. Please contact us to verify whether your textbook(s) is assigned for the coming semester.
How do I find the textbooks I need?
On the Fall 2022 textbook page (active by Sept 1):
- Filter the textbook list by course.
- Or, use the "search within" bar by typing course number or name, author last name, or book title.
From the main search bar:
- Type the first letters of the course number and pick the correct auto-completing course
There are multiple versions of the same textbook available to me. How do I decide?
Please choose your texts carefully according to the version you prefer. There are both price and customer service differences between the options:
- Instant Access (e-texts, Kindle, etc.). A "rented" digital text, often available for the length of a semester. Although we may link to off-site digital options, the student takes full responsibility of the purchase and submits direct payment to the 3rd party. CommonWord cannot offer any customer service. There are no refund options.
- Access Card. A physical code to your digital text. These are available from CommonWord for select texts. Once the access card is opened, it is no longer refundable.
- Hardcover/Paperback with Access Card. A physical copy with additional digital materials, typically shrink-wrapped. These are available from CommonWord for select texts. Once the shrink-wrap is broken, it is no longer refundable.
- Loose-Leaf (Text only). A physical copy without additional digital materials that require a separate binder. These are available from CommonWord for select texts. Once the shrink-wrap is broken, it is no longer refundable.
- Hardcover/Paperback (or unidentified). The traditional textbook. Available from CommonWord for select texts. Fully refundable as per the criteria below.
- Other items (calculators, audio books, CDs, DVDs, or digital products) are available from CommonWord for select courses. Once opened, they are no longer refundable.
Can I purchase used textbooks?
We have a limited number of used textbooks, and will be made available on a first-come, first-served basis.
What payment options do I have?
We accept cash, cheque, debit or credit card payments in-store.
I have additional questions. Who should I contact?
Returns can be made prior to the semester's final return date (if that is within 2 weeks of your purchase) and meet these criteria:
- You have the original receipt.
- The item(s) are in new condition and complete (including all components - CDs, DVDs, unopened access codes, study guides).
- Books that were shrink-wrapped need to be returned with the shrink-wrap intact.
- Refund method will match the original purchase method (e.g. credit card)
- Textbooks purchased as used are final sale and not returnable.
- Please note that calculators, and opened audiobooks, CDs, DVDs, or digital products may not be returned.
- many stationery products and school supplies
- personal hygiene items and household products
- post-secondary Winnipeg Transit Peggo cards
- CMU brandware
- Fair-trade coffee and a variety of frozen foods (pizza, perogies and sausage) and snacks
Our unique lending library is free to use. With less than 15% content overlap with the CMU Library, you might just find that “something extra” for your fellowship group study, essay, or chapel presentation. Search this catalogue for materials or come visit us.
Hours at CommonWord
Monday - Friday, 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
In Marpeck Commons on the north campus