CommonWord is your on-campus bookstore and second library
The busy textbook rush is over. Please simply come by to pick up any of your remaining texts.
No pre-ordering required. No appointment needed. Thanks for your cooperation!
Please continue to check the online textbook listing for pricing and new arrivals.
The Lab Manuals have arrived.
Final textbook return date
Wednesday, September 22, 2021
How do I find the textbooks I need?
On the Fall 2021 listing page:
- Filter the textbook list by course.
- Or, use the "search within" bar by typing course number or name, author last name, or book title.
From the main search bar:
- Type the first letters of the course number and pick the correct auto-completing course
There are multiple versions of the same textbook available to me. How do I decide?
Please choose your texts carefully according to the version you prefer. There are both price and customer service differences between the options:
- Instant Access (e-texts, Kindle, etc.). A "rented" digital text, often available for the length of a semester. Although we may link to off-site digital options, the student takes full responsibility of the purchase and submits direct payment to the 3rd party. CommonWord cannot offer any customer service. There are no refund options.
- Access Card. A physical code to your digital text. These are available from CommonWord for select texts. Once the access card is opened, it is no longer refundable.
- Hardcover/Paperback with Access Card. A physical copy with additional digital materials, typically shrink-wrapped. These are available from CommonWord for select texts. Once the shrink-wrap is broken, it is no longer refundable.
- Loose-Leaf (Text only). A physical copy without additional digital materials that require a separate binder. These are available from CommonWord for select texts. Once the shrink-wrap is broken, it is no longer refundable.
- Hardcover/Paperback (or unidentified). The traditional textbook. Available from CommonWord for select texts. Fully refundable as per the criteria below.
- Other items (calculators, audio books, CDs, DVDs, or digital products) are available from CommonWord for select courses. Once opened, they are no longer refundable.
Can I purchase used textbooks?
We have a limited number of used textbooks. For those listed online, it is noted in the title of the book. In a few other cases, we may have several used texts. At your appointment we will make you aware of any that are available, on a first-come, first-served basis.
What payment options do I have?
We accept cash, cheque, debit or credit card payments in-store. For online payments you will require a credit card or a pre-paid credit card or a debit card linked to a PayPal account.
May I book my appointment before I pre-order my texts?
Yes, the two processes are separate. However, please pre-order your textbooks 1-2 business hours before your appointment slot to allow us time to collate your order.
May I come early for my appointment?
Limited space means we need to restrict the number of students with appointments to 4. There are 2 appointments per time slot, so you are welcome to come 5-10 minutes in advance. If the line stretches outside the store, you will be asked to come back later.
May I book more than one appointment?
Please try to limit yourself to one appointment to allow all students equal access to the store. However, a second appointment will be necessary if you drop or change courses.
May I sell my used textbooks from previous years?
This year, due to our new COVID related procedures, we are not accepting used textbooks. Students are encouraged to sell them through informal CMU student forums.
May I browse or shop for other items without an appointment?
Yes, you're welcome to browse or shop for other items, including student supplies, frozen and other foods, general books and resources, crafts and other merchandise.
I have additional questions. Who should I contact?
Please use your appointment time to ask questions. Otherwise, if you have questions about textbook requirements or versions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Other questions about your order should be directed to email@example.com.
Returns can be made prior to the semester's final return date (if that is within 2 weeks of your purchase) and meet these criteria:
- You have the original receipt.
- The item(s) are in new condition and complete (including all components - CDs, DVDs, unopened access codes, study guides).
- Books that were shrink-wrapped need to be returned with the shrink-wrap intact.
- Refund method will match the original purchase method (e.g. credit card)
- Please note that calculators, and opened audiobooks, CDs, DVDs, or digital products may not be returned.
We also carry:
- many stationery products and school supplies
- personal hygiene items and household products
- post-secondary Winnipeg Transit Peggo cards
- CMU brandware
- Fair-trade coffee and a variety of frozen foods (pizza, perogies and sausage) and snacks
Our unique lending library is free to use. With less than 15% content overlap with the CMU Library, you might just find that “something extra” for your fellowship group study, essay, or chapel presentation. Search this catalogue for materials or come visit us.
Hours at CommonWord
Monday - Friday, 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
In Marpeck Commons on the north campus