CommonWord is your on-campus bookstore and second library
your required textbooks. Pre-orders and appointments are no longer necessary for the winter semester.
- many stationery products and school supplies
- personal hygiene items and household products
- post-secondary Winnipeg Transit Peggo cards
- CMU brandware
- Fair-trade coffee and a variety of frozen foods (pizza, perogies and sausage) and snacks
In addition, our unique lending library is free to use. With less than 15% content overlap with the CMU Library, you might just find that “something extra” for your fellowship group study, essay, or chapel presentation. Search this catalogue for materials or come visit us.
How do I find the textbooks I need?
Filter the textbook list by course, or type the first letters of the course number in the general search bar and pick the correct auto-completing course, or use the "search within" bar by course number or name, book title or author.
There are multiple versions of the same textbook available to me. How do I decide?
Please choose your texts carefully according to the version you prefer. There are both price and customer service differences between the options:
- Instant Access (e-texts, Kindle, etc.). A "rented" digital text, often available for the length of a semester. Although we may link to off-site digital options, the student takes full responsibility of the purchase and submits direct payment to the 3rd party. CommonWord cannot offer any customer service. There are no refund options.
- Access Card. A physical code to your digital text. These are available from CommonWord for select texts. Once the access card is opened, it is no longer refundable.
- Hardcover/Paperback with Access Card. A physical copy with additional digital materials, typically shrink-wrapped. These are available from CommonWord for select texts. Once the shrink-wrap is broken, it is no longer refundable.
- Loose-Leaf (Text only). A physical copy without additional digital materials that require a separate binder. These are available from CommonWord for select texts. Once the shrink-wrap is broken, it is no longer refundable.
- Hardcover/Paperback (or unidentified). The traditional textbook. Available from CommonWord for select texts. Fully refundable as per the criteria below.
- Other items (calculators, audio books, CDs, DVDs, or digital products) are available from CommonWord for select courses. Once opened, they are no longer refundable.
I don’t see the possibility of purchasing used texts on your website. Are any available?
There are fewer used textbooks available this year. At your appointment we will make you aware of any available used texts, on a first-come, first-served basis.
What payment options do I have?
We accept debit or credit card payments in-store. Due to COVID-19, we are not accepting cash at this time. For online payments you will require a credit card or a pre-paid credit card or a debit card linked to a PayPal account.
May I book my appointment before I pre-order my texts?
Yes, the two processes are separate. However, please pre-order your textbooks 1-2 business hours before your appointment slot to allow us time to collate your order.
May I come early for my appointment?
Limited space means we need to restrict the number of students with appointments to 4. There are 2 appointments per time slot, so you are welcome to come 5-10 minutes in advance. If the line stretches outside the store, you will be asked to come back later.
May I book more than one appointment?
Please try to limit yourself to one appointment to allow all students equal access to the store. However, a second appointment will be necessary if you drop or change courses.
May I sell my used textbooks from previous years?
This year, due to our new COVID related procedures, we are not accepting used textbooks. Students are encouraged to sell them through informal CMU student forums.
May I browse or shop for other items without an appointment?
Yes, if the number of customers (including students with appointments) is under 8, you are welcome to come in and shop for "essential items" (including student supplies, frozen and other foods. "Non-essential items" (including books and resources, crafts and other merchandise) must be purchased online or by phone and picked up outside the store.
I have additional questions. Who should I contact?
Please use your appointment time to ask questions. Otherwise, if you have questions about textbook requirements or versions, please contact email@example.com. Other questions about your order should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Returns can be made prior to the semester's final return date (if that is within 2 weeks of your purchase) and meet these criteria:
- You have the original receipt.
- The item(s) are in new condition and complete (including all components - CDs, DVDs, unopened access codes, study guides).
- Books that were shrink-wrapped need to be returned with the shrink-wrap intact.
- Refund method will match the original purchase method (e.g. credit card)
- Please note that calculators, and opened audio books, CDs, DVDs, or digital products may not be returned.
Final textbook return date
Wednesday, January 27/21
Hours at CommonWord
Tuesday - Friday, 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
(Summer Hours: May 1 - July 31)
In Marpeck Commons on the north campus