Including FREE SHIPPING!
Also see our sales policy.
Scope of Service
Anyone with a Canadian address may borrow resources from CommonWord.
- This loan service is free to members of Mennonite Church Canada, CMU, and the Manitoba Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches.
Others within Canada may purchase:
- An annual membership ($30). This covers a 12-month period, starting with today's date. Please read about our membership privileges.
- A single visit fee ($7). This covers most* loan transactions today (before midnight, Pacific Time). Our free shipping policy applies, but other membership privileges do not.
*Exception - larger kits for which an annual membership is required.
Loan orders ship free (both ways) anywhere in Canada!
Loan orders will be sent separately from CommonWord retail orders.
Loans returned in person can be dropped off at our front desk. During off-hours, please return your loan items in the outside "CMU Library" drop-box.
Items received via Canada Post:
Loans orders mailed to you include a free prepaid return label.
- Apply the return label to the original (or new) package, and bring to your post office for mailing. (Or, if it's a small package, simply place it in the mailslot of a neighbourhood Canada Post box.)
- Although not typical, borrowers have occasionally experienced issues at the post office. (Not all clerks are familiar with the newly designed library label.)
- If the post office clerk questions the validity of the label, indicate that it was paid by credit card (not by meter or account).
- If the clerk has difficulty scanning the label, ask that it be entered manually.
- Normally, there are no issues. Please contact us if there are any problems.
Items received at an off-site display:
- Items borrowed from an off-site display must be returned to CommonWord at the borrower's expense. Please return to:
Length of Loan
- Regular loan = 4 weeks
- New and seasonal resources = 3 weeks
- Preview materials (from MennoMedia and other partners) = 3 weeks
- Cheaper by the Dozen orders = 6 weeks
- Longer video series and curriculum = 5-12 weeks (please indicate your reasons for an extended loan in comment section of the checkout process)
These loan periods include the time in transit (both ways) between Winnipeg and your address.
You may reserve a loan item(s) in advance, subject to availability, by adjusting the date(s) in your shopping cart. Remember that the selected date(s) is the day the item(s) is shipped from Winnipeg. Please allow enough time for shipping.
You may place a hold on a loan item(s) that is currently in circulation by clicking the "Borrow Later" button and selecting the default date (the earliest date available). We will send the resource as soon as it becomes available.
We do not currently charge for an overdue item(s) but expect that it will be returned to Winnipeg by its due date (an automated email is sent 4 days in advance as a reminder). If an item(s) is not returned after a short "grace period," the borrower will be invoiced the cost of its replacement. Failure to comply will result in the suspension of borrowing privileges.
Any damage to an item(s) should be reported immediately. Please do not try to mend the resource. If a replacement is required, the borrower, if at fault, will be invoiced for its replacement. Please do not write or highlight inside any of our materials. Return resources with appropriately padded mailers and with other protective measures, as needed.
Each of our DVDs are marked as either having "Home-Use Only" or "Non-Paying Public Performance" rights. Please respect these designations:
- "Home-Use Only" is limited to a private, familial viewing, and doesn't include classroom or institutional permissions. Congregations who have purchased licensing packages may be eligible to show these films in Sunday school, worship, etc. See the United Church of Canada Guide for more information.
- "Non-Paying Public Performance" is limited to your congregational setting and can be legally viewed in Sunday school classes, worship or other church gatherings if admission is not collected. These permissions do not extend to other public venues.
Please contact us if you have any questions. Compliance to copyright law is the primary responsibility of the viewer(s).