Convictions: How I Learned What Matters Most
On the occasion of his seventieth birthday, the renowned scholar Marcus J. Borg shares how he formed his bedrock religious beliefs, contending that Christians are at their best when they focus on hope and transformation and so shows how we can return to what really matters most. The result is a manifesto for all progressive Christians who seek the best path for following Jesus today.
With each chapter embodying a distinct conviction, Borg writes provocatively and compellingly on the beliefs that can deeply ground us and guide us, such as:
- God is real and a mystery
- salvation is more about this life than an afterlife
- the Bible can be true without being literally true
- Jesus's death on the cross matters—but not because he paid for our sins
- God is passionate about justice and the poor
- to love God is to love like God.
Borg calls all Christians to reject divisiveness and exclusivity and create communities that celebrate joy, possibility, and renewal. Throughout, he reflects on what matters most, bringing to earth the kingdom of God Jesus talked about and transforming our relationships with one another. Rich in wisdom and insight, Convictions is sure to become a classic of contemporary Christianity.
Please provide your contact information. We will check this item's availability and get back to you soon with the price and expected time of delivery.