Conscientious Objection to the Payment of War Taxes Series: Mennonite Church Canada
April 2007 Mennonite Church Canada letter to the Prime Minister:
Conscientious Objection to Payment of War Taxes
by Henry Krause
The Peace Tax Return can be used at tax time to make a declaration to government by use of Option A that one does not support war or by Option B by which a person withholds a portion of their taxes and deposits that sum in the Peace Tax Trust Fund of Conscience Canada.
- Please email our office indicating you have sent in a Peace Tax Form, or call 1-866-888-6785.
The history of this conscientious action, includes:
- Mr. Bill Siksay introduces a Private Member’s Bill (C-348) to the House on June 22, 2006, entitled Conscientious Objection to the Use of Taxes for Military Purposes.
- A delegate resolution at the Mennonite Church Canada 2006 assembly in Edmonton passed which asked leadership to “…make representation … to the Government of Canada, urging the government to enact legislation which would allow conscientious objectors to direct the military portion of their taxes to activities of development and peace.”
- In April 2007, Mennonite Church Canada sent a letter to Prime Minister Stephen Harper asking government to allow for the “… Conscientious Objection to the payment of those taxes designated for military purposes.”
- Mennonite Church Canada works with Siksay and other concerned groups coordinated by Conscience Canada to introduce a new, strengthened Bill which “…will propose concrete ways in which our concerns can be more fully addressed.” In response, on June 13, 2007 Mr. Siksay gave first reading to Private Members Bill C-460.
- Mennonite Church Canada urges its constituency to write their local Member of Parliament, and the Minister of Finance
- The bill was re-introduced by Mr. Siksay as C-390 to the new government in Parliament on May 15, 2009.
- A similar bill was re-introduced by Mr. Alex Atamanenko as C-363 to the new government in Parliament on November 28, 2011.
Please provide your contact information. We will check this item's availability and get back to you soon with the price and expected time of delivery.